It was at the end of the 1800s when Mr. Federico Jensch decided to convert the beautiful Palazzo Giustiniani, bishop’s seat, located on the left side at the mouth of the River Gromolo, into a wonderful hotel, the current 4-star Hotel Grande Albergo in Sestri Levante.
The hotel, formerly open all year round and chosen by the best international clientele, offered almost royal hospitality.
It had 130 elegant rooms equipped with every comfort: lift, radiators, telephone, terrace overlooking the sea, beach, boats, bathing facilities, garage, Italian and foreign library, availability of carriages. The hotel was also appreciated for its excellent cuisine, for which the owner requested the best foods, preferring local products.
In 1930 it was the headquarters of the First Eastern Barcarolata, an evocative event that still takes place every year on the Bay of Silence, on the last Sunday of July each year.
The Grande Albergo Hotel, after having belonged to the Westermann family for thirty years, passed to its current ownership in the 90s and in July 2003, after a complete renovation, it returned to shine and to welcome customers of great value.